Monday, March 19, 2012

Boys Will Surprise You

Today was one of those days that reminded me of the glaring differences between little boys and little girls....

This morning, Piper was trying to step over one of the kids' chairs in our living room and stumbled - and hurt her tender girl parts on the metal tubing of the chair. I was folding laundry when I heard a blood-curdling howl from the living room. It was one of THOSE screams - the ones that get you airborne and let you know that a Mama on adrenalin can fly! I picked her up and cuddled her, trying to figure out what was wrong but she was crying to hard to tell me. Sebastian had seen it happen though and he piped up, "Mommy, I think she hurt her business on the chair." (An important side note here is that we've always called the kids' genitals their "business." They know there are other words for them but we didn't want to use a cutesy name, nor did we really want to hear the clinical terms come out of their mouths just yet.) Piper nodded at that, still howling at the top of her lungs, so I made sure that she was okay and cuddled her until she settled down. 

Once she stopped crying, she stood up and Seb came over and hugged her tight. "Are you okay Sissy Belle?" he asked, and when Piper said she was he hugged her again. THEN he said, "Just be glad you don't have balls." Very matter-of-fact he was about it too. I was, needless to say, surprised because we never really use that word to describe that part of his anatomy. I couldn't help but laugh and ask, "What did you just say?" Seb shrugged and said, "I told Piper to be glad she doesn't have balls. If you hit balls like that it hurts really, REALLY bad!" I giggled some more, mostly because it was so funny to hear my little guy use that word in such a big-guy way. Piper, however, was confused. "What are balls?" she asked and I know she was thinking about the basket of tennis balls, basket balls, footballs and the like that is in her room. Sebastian said, "There are the parts that hang down from my business." Piper thought about that for a minute and said, "Oh okay - yeah, I'm glad I don't have those. Those are ugly."

Now as I'm sure you've all guessed by now, I had to duck into the bathroom and laugh myself silly for a while about all of this. When I asked him about it later, Seb said that one of his friends from school told him that those parts of him were called his balls, so at least I know where he learned it. I wasn't offended or upset - I don't mind that word at all - but I WAS surprised. I told him that a lot of guys called their parts balls and that it was okay for him to say it. He smiled and gave me a big kiss and went back to his video game. I guess my little guy is growing up, huh?

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Growing up very fast indeed. And just for the record, Grandmothers can fly when they hear 'that" cry too. So glad Piper is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how funny! I so have a story about growing up too! Love hearing all the stories of your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too Harriet - and you're right... Grammies CAN fly when they hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! Oh, I so know what that's like, having a boy and girl too :) That was just hilarious though :D We had a similar situation when babysitting the grandson of one of my Mum's friends awhile back. He was a cute wee thing, wouldn't say boo to a goose (he was about 5). He wanted to have a swim in the pool, and was dead keen to get in there but it was abit chilly. So he stepped cautiously onto the ladder, then descended into the chilly water one step at a time. When he got level with his...business...he let out an almighty yelp (the most noise we'd ever heard him make!) and announced "It's freezing my nuts!!". Yeah...took us awhile to stop laughing. Kids huh? Precious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of the mouth of little boys! lol... Cute.
    My Darlings Forreal.

    ReplyDelete